HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - dogs running the woods.
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 PM
MountainHunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: dogs running the woods.

LeBeau, I thought the same as you until it happened to me a couple of times. Then I realized that (1) I shouldn't shoot at a running deer, and (2), if I saw a deer looking back, I'd probably wait for Mr.Bighorns to arrive and not realize I should shoot at thefirst deeruntil it was too late. There's a small chance that a dog running deer might produce a real shot opportunity, but I htink it's pretty unlikely.

I really like dogs, in general. I think that most of them are great, sometimes even admirable,animals. I wouldn't shoot at a dog with any collar on it (except maybe with a BB or pellet gun) unless I'd already had a talk with the owner and come to a realization that the owner just didn't give a dang and the dogs just weren't going to stop running deer on my land. I figure an owner like that doesn't warrant consideration and the dogs are probably being mistreated/neglected anyways.A dog without a collar is not much better than a coyote, IMO, and no one is likely to miss it. I think I'd shoot any dog, collar or not, with something less than lethal force first, as a warning, before I'd shoot with something that would be likely to kill it, no matter what the laws are.