HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - GUN STANDS - NORTHERN WI
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Canned Heat
Fork Horn

Default RE: GUN STANDS - NORTHERN WI

ORIGINAL: Father Forkhorn

I certainly admire those of you who have the ability to forgo a rest. I think they're infinitely valuable for hunting, though. They help when the breath and and heart rates soar because a deer came into view. I know from experience a rest helps overcome the nerves.

Canned Heat, you just gave me an idea. I've made a few ground blinds and have been wondering how to rig up a suitable rest. That picture got the wheels turning. I'd been thinking shooting sticks or a monopod, but I could easily rig up something similar.
I got the idea while talking to my neighbor. I mentioned building a swing-away rail/rest and he's an electrician...so bending some heavy 1" or 1-1/2" conduit came into play. Then we thought of a monopod/shooting stick type thing. I had some angle iron that we welded up and fabricated and it worked out nice. I just have to go back down the climbing sticks one extra time to tie that part on....and I alwayskeep anextra set of bolts and wingnuts in case I drop one. Last year, I leaned on it with my elbow for a shot...I use it more to lay the rifle across so it's right there ready to go infront of me.