Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

GUN STANDS - NORTHERN WI

Old 10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: GUN STANDS - NORTHERN WI

I added a rest to my Gorilla Kong XL lock-on that I use for gun season. More for concealment rather than a rest. I don't have any other pics than these, but after I took these I purchased some camo fabric and attached heavy duty velcro to it and if it weren't for my blaze hat...you'd barely see me in the tree.

I agree with "Brocster"... However, where I am in WI, most of my shots are 80-120 yards. I feel that if I can't hit a target with a scoped rifle at that distance, I should put the gun away. My sentiments, too.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

A gun rest? Sure, I take any advantage I can get. Probably my most common rest in a tree "gun stand" is crossing my legs, and resting my front forearm on my knee. I have done that quite a few times. I find that if I can rest my front forearm onanything firm, and lock my front wrist I can hold rock solid steady. Using a gun slingis kind of the same concept.I think part of learning to shoot is finding body positions that give you a good steady natural rest. I also place my stands in such a way that give megood right handed shots....most of the time.
My dad shoots left handed, and he hates all of my deer stands.

C. Davis

Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 PM

We have rails on all of our stands here in wisconsin. We own our own land and therefore build our own stands, so we can make the rails how we want.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I certainly admire those of you who have the ability to forgo a rest. I think they're infinitely valuable for hunting, though. They help when the breath and and heart rates soar because a deer came into view. I know from experience a rest helps overcome the nerves.

Canned Heat, you just gave me an idea. I've made a few ground blinds and have been wondering how to rig up a suitable rest. That picture got the wheels turning. I'd been thinking shooting sticks or a monopod, but I could easily rig up something similar.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:12 AM

Once on private land I used post hole diggers and set a wooden post by my stand to use as a rest.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Father Forkhorn

I certainly admire those of you who have the ability to forgo a rest. I think they're infinitely valuable for hunting, though. They help when the breath and and heart rates soar because a deer came into view. I know from experience a rest helps overcome the nerves.

Canned Heat, you just gave me an idea. I've made a few ground blinds and have been wondering how to rig up a suitable rest. That picture got the wheels turning. I'd been thinking shooting sticks or a monopod, but I could easily rig up something similar.
I got the idea while talking to my neighbor. I mentioned building a swing-away rail/rest and he's an electrician...so bending some heavy 1" or 1-1/2" conduit came into play. Then we thought of a monopod/shooting stick type thing. I had some angle iron that we welded up and fabricated and it worked out nice. I just have to go back down the climbing sticks one extra time to tie that part on....and I alwayskeep anextra set of bolts and wingnuts in case I drop one. Last year, I leaned on it with my elbow for a shot...I use it more to lay the rifle across so it's right there ready to go infront of me.