HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "Accurizing" a new gun to shoot tighter??
Old 10-25-2007, 05:50 PM
stalkingbear
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Accurizing" a new gun to shoot tighter??

I have had to change several barrels because they used firelapping method of polishing bore and I still have the barrels in my shop and a powerful borescope anytime you would like to examine them. I don't know if the instructions are vague,hard to read/make sense of,or if the customers simply overdid it thinking that "some is good so a lot more is better. I will add however that every single one of the rifle owners had at least 10-12 years experience in shooting and hunting. Since I have actually examined the barrels I can only conclude that the precise way that firelapping was performed was obviously faulty and I stand by my statement with a armload of barrels backing me up. To think that even the pros never mess up is as absurd as making comments without ACTUAL FIRSTHAND experience. Remember when chip mccormick 1911 parts was famous for breaking?????
To me,firelapping is simply a way for lazy people to HOPEFULLY improve their rifle's accuracy. I wholeheartedly do however reccomend hand lapping and by the way,make no money on it considering the amount of labor invested.
Some of the firelapped barrel owners actually thought that since firelapping ruint their barrel,any polishing or honing was bad.