HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to make good cheap targets with pics....
Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM
jonhall9

Default RE: How to make a cheap target with pics....

Here is another idea for those that may not have lots of corn bags laying around. I usually start with a large cardboard box, maybe two feet high by three feet wide by a foot and a half deep or so. Then, I go to my local grocery store and just ask them for the boxes they are throwing away. Simply flatten the boxes and then stack them side to side on end so as to fill the large box you started with. As long as you pack them tightly they will last you quite a while. Between my friends and I we have shot this target many hundreds of times with various compounds and crossbows and I have yet to have an arrow or bolt go in to where it damages the fletching. When it begins to seem "worn out" just turn it around and use the other side until that one is also worn out before replacing the inner boxes. One thing I have found to be good also is that I covered the top of the box with rainproof material so it will not be damaged by leaving it outside. Also, I added a rope handle to the top so I can easily move the target.

Not the most advanced concept ever come up with, but it worked well for me and I hope someone else gets some use out of the idea. Sorry for no pictures- they would be the ones on the my laptop that I accidentally dropped from three feet onto a carpeted floor- apparently the entire machine is totaled and the memory is lost to me forever. What a tragedy, especially my hunting journals! :-(

Jon