HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "To Grunt Or Not To Grunt, That is the ?"
Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "To Grunt Or Not To Grunt, That is the ?"

Make sure when you call deer you know what the local herd is doing...Early in the season stick with soft, short contact grunts or bleats...As the season progresses and the bucks start looking for does you need to go with louder more agressive grunting, even mixed with doe in heat bleats....

I carry 3 grunt calls and a couple of different doe bleat calls...Sometimes I use the deeper grunt like you mentioned...I have also had good luck with the
Woods Wise Buck and Doe call, it is a higher pitched grunt call...As important as the tone in the call is how agressive you make it sound...I have had 1 1/2 year old bucks come in to deeper grunts, I just don't call in an agressive manner.....

If you hear a long, agressive call from a mature buck, call back that way...I've had them come running in....

Calling deer is a lot like using scents, you need to be in the woods enough to know what "mood" they are in so you know how they will respond....If you don't, leave it in your pack....Like any other tactic for whitetails, nothing works all the time...

I don't know if you bass fish, being from FL, I would bet you do...Remember how it can be in May and June??? Sometimes they want a buzz bait burning up the surface, seems you can't reel it too fast....Some days they want a plastic lizard, just barely moving...Same deal with deer....