HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - correct arrow weight
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 08:41 AM
mobow

Default RE: correct arrow weight

IMO, it's personal preference. You look at quicksilver....He just layed the smack on a great PA buck w/ a 255 grain arrow.....and buried it in the dirt.....Or are you not referring to heavy vs light, but if in doubt make your arrow a bit heavier??

If you don't have a grain scale, some basic math will get you very close. I push the 5 gpp mark....I'm sitting at 5.01 right now....

I really feel the weight vs speed issue is over debated. Today's bows are so efficient, and produce such energy, that a super heavy arrow is not NEEDED.....Will they carry more downrange momentum? Sure. But 90% of the guys I know aren't going to shoot farther than 40 yards, and a lighter arrow is 100% capable. But, with the lighter arrow come higher speeds, and some folks may not be able to shoot faster as well.

A heavy arrow will cause the bow to be a bit quieter as well, but again.....Bows are designed to be inherently more silent anyway, and with the advent of Simms....well, they're pretty gawl darn quiet. My bow is shooting a 355 grain arrow @ 320, and is dead quiet.

So, I guess to specifically answer your question.....Is heavy better for a NEW archer?? Possibly, yes. It will be more forgiving, there's no denying that.

Not sure if that's what you were asking....If not, forgive me for getting on my speed vs weight bandwagon....