Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 correct arrow weight >

correct arrow weight

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

correct arrow weight

Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 AM

Default correct arrow weight

when choosing the correct arrow weight for your setup, do you include the weight of the boradhead. Lets say you need 350 grains for your setup. Does that mean 250 grains of arrow and a 100 grain broadhead, or just a 350 grain arrow?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 AM

Default RE: correct arrow weight

TOTAL arrow weight. Point, wraps, vanes......everything.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Mobo.....I've always erred (if you wanna call it that) on the heavy side. Is that advisable to new hunters?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:41 AM

IMO, it's personal preference. You look at quicksilver....He just layed the smack on a great PA buck w/ a 255 grain arrow.....and buried it in the dirt.....Or are you not referring to heavy vs light, but if in doubt make your arrow a bit heavier??

If you don't have a grain scale, some basic math will get you very close. I push the 5 gpp mark....I'm sitting at 5.01 right now....

I really feel the weight vs speed issue is over debated. Today's bows are so efficient, and produce such energy, that a super heavy arrow is not NEEDED.....Will they carry more downrange momentum? Sure. But 90% of the guys I know aren't going to shoot farther than 40 yards, and a lighter arrow is 100% capable. But, with the lighter arrow come higher speeds, and some folks may not be able to shoot faster as well.

A heavy arrow will cause the bow to be a bit quieter as well, but again.....Bows are designed to be inherently more silent anyway, and with the advent of Simms....well, they're pretty gawl darn quiet. My bow is shooting a 355 grain arrow @ 320, and is dead quiet.

So, I guess to specifically answer your question.....Is heavy better for a NEW archer?? Possibly, yes. It will be more forgiving, there's no denying that.

Not sure if that's what you were asking....If not, forgive me for getting on my speed vs weight bandwagon....
Old 10-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I was hoping you'd answer it JUST the way you did....for us new guys. I'm sure we allappreciate the technical advice.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree, I like a tad heavier spine.

And to address the point issue; When choosing a point, go by foc.