HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Colorado Elk Hunt: 1-2-3 Down (Part 1 - The Hunt)
Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM
hillbillyhunter1
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY Colorado Elk Hunt: 1-2-3

Good story EKM. Almost every year it seems that you (and most of your party) have their elk on the ground by the first or second day of the hunt.

After it is over, do you ever wish you'd spent more time actually hunting?? I understand that your elk adventures center a lot around effectively positioning yourself for that opening day stampede, and efficientlyprocessing the meat, and setting up an organized and highly functional camp, and enjoying the whole production and comraderie, I'm sure.

I'm sure you scout beforehand although, from my perception, it seems you may be hunting the same exact area year after year, and, of course, it seems you have intimate knowledge of how the elk will generally react in that area on those first
crucial days, and I can certainly understand and appreciate the fact that you are effective every year (no small feat).

But..

What I'm wondering is, at times like this, when you have two tags, and particularly one for a bull, do you ever desire to refrain from pulling the trigger in hopes of finding something bigger and prolonging the chance to be "purposefully afield"?

After all, I don't think that anybody would generally characterize the action as "kind of slow" on a day they've already killed one elk.

Thanks
Great job.
Let's see some pics