Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Colorado Elk Hunt: 1-2-3 Down (Part 1 - The Hunt) >

Colorado Elk Hunt: 1-2-3 Down (Part 1 - The Hunt)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Elk Hunt: 1-2-3 Down (Part 1 - The Hunt)

Old 10-18-2007, 10:14 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DIY Colorado Elk Hunt: 1-2-3

CE,
Had the scope off of one 338 and don't really like the other one.
The 375 was already to go so it won by default (plus it is aneasy cartridge, lots offun, and puts the hammer to them).

Taylor,
I don't think you will be hot in Pagosa during the 3rd season.
Snow might be knee high to a tall indian.

HBH,
You are right, the area isn't prone to big bulls as you can almost always get tags in there with no preference points and the pressure is very high thus very few bulls live long enough to get real big.

BBJ,
Your tag line would have worked as an answer....
"When the moment of truth comes,and it's time to dance.You better get jiggy with it...."

Conversely, is someone wants to hunt to the last second of the last minute of the last day of the season looking for the big one, then I'm not going to ask him why he does it. It is his choice and it is okay.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I probaly took you out of context...could me ny time of the month LOL.

I do have to agree with ya,if I had 2 tags bull and cow and had a chance to fill both same day.You betchya they are getting filled(no matter thesize of the bull).

Was it just you two this year?

Also I just bought another .338 win Mag for this year Sako Fiberclass AV,can't wait till Sunday.
BBJ
Old 10-18-2007, 10:52 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

BBJ,

No we had others in camp, but since scouting showed the elk to be fewer in number and scattered wesplit upinstead of all going to the same area. Thus the focus of my story was on our (the two of us)little expedition that went into one of our favorite drainages.

EKM
Old 10-19-2007, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job, Congrats.

I was quite impressed with your writing skills, I think you've got something there, you 'ought to try to publish a book of your hunting stories in 20 years or so, when you've accumulated more huntingstories than you have now.

Josiah
Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: EKM

BBJ,

No we had others in camp, but since scouting showed the elk to be fewer in number and scattered wesplit upinstead of all going to the same area. Thus the focus of my story was on our (the two of us)little expedition that went into one of our favorite drainages.

EKM
That seemed to be par for the course of the groups I talked too also that were in the Craig area. The 3 groups of buddies that were up there either ere either hot or cold. They had elk on them or didn't see an elk. We leave at noon today! With three of us all carrying bull tags. This is a trip I have zero expectations for as I am taking up 2 "new" elk hunters. They are going to get a crash course on hunting in the snow on Sunday.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Elk Hunt: 1-2-3 Down (Part 1)

EKM,
I always look forward to your hunting report. Great job again, as always. You are a true die hard elk hunter on a mission every year.
I killed a big cow on the second day of the Wyoming general rifle season. I then killed a 3-point mule deer buck,on the third day. I used my 340-weatherby for both animals. Bothwere one shot kills. I hit the cow abit hi & a bit far back. She still droped at the shot.She would have ran off & left me a long tracking job, if I would have been shooting a deer rifle. I still have a second elk tag in my pocket. I will make a evening huntthis afternoon.
If I do not see anything, I will call it good for the year. I will then turn my attention to my wife, & her quest for a bull elk.

WK
Old 10-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats and good story!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

I have come to think that the old EKM is not an elk hunter at all......but rather a meat eater with a streamlined harvesting process!!! One that gets the "deed" out of the way so that one can enjoy the fruits of ones' labor....camp...friends.....libations. Ah, the campfire is a blaze and stories are exchanged of past days in the field, along with future hunts to come!

Congrats on a successful hunt. Hope the experience taught you something that you didn't know.