HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - This weekend in a nutshell...how was it for you?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Gundeck
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This weekend in a nutshell...how was it for you?

I was at a VFW conference Saturday and didn't get back until afternoon Sunday, so messed up my first weekend here in Western NY. I did get out Sunday PM, however. Saw one doe early, but she came straight in and straight back out. Never had a proper shot at her even though she got to about 15 yards. Since I was in a hurry when I went out, I set up inthe hay fieldbehind a large hay bale. Bad choice. I had a large doe come in later from the NE. I moved to the west side of the bale to set up for a shot. As she got closer, I moved to the edge of the bale when I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. A friend of hers had come from the NNW and had busted me. She was standing there ears up and staring me down. I had not drawn my bow yet. When she looked away, I moved back behind the bale slowly. Ended up with three doe and two buck (young ones) within 30-40 yards but couldn't get up for a decent shot without being seen for sure. I sat (actually laid) at the corner of the bale and watched the show. (The buck were "play" fighting.) It got dark and I crawled out of the field and back to the house. Lots of hunting days left.