HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Out west rifle need help
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 08:11 AM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: Out west rifle need help

Hey 270 fanatics,

He's used the 270 and didn't get the results he hoped for. Now he wants something bigger. So be it. I get sick of the Recoil comments too. You would think that it was absolutely impossible to shoot good with a belted magnum. Newsflash Not everyone is recoil sensitive. And there are shooters vest with padding and new recoil pads all of which can greatly improve the felt recoil of some of the heaviest thumpers for range sessions. And as we all know you never fell it when shooting at game.

I don't dissagree that the 270 will do the job, as a matter of fact i have a 6.5mm that I'm certain would kill an elk provided a decent path to the vitals. But, Ihunt with a 338 wm for the same reasons he stated. More kinetic energy, large diameter bullet, and absolutely hammers elk out to 350 yds. At normal hunting distances itturns marginal angles into confident shots. for example i once had an elk present a severally quartering to me shot. He was basically facing me at 150 yds. To shoot I would have to shoot through the front shoulder/ brisket and still get enough penetration to take out the vitals. The wind was swirling and the bull was getting antsy, any moment he's was going to split. It was time to take the shot or not. With a 270 I'd have gone home with tag soup because I wouldn't trust the bullet to do the job. Carrying my 338 I had elk loin steaks on the grill at camp that evening.