HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how farcan you shoot a cross bow
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Planter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how farcan you shoot a cross bow

I waspretty indifferent about crossbows until my second back surgery and now use one when I can't pull the compound. You will not find any increase in the distances you can shoot responsibly and my max with the hoyt or the Xbow is 30 yards. They are however easier to become proficient with which may result in fewer wounded deer.

I also thought the fancy high tech muzzle loaders missed the spirit of the traditional .56 TC I have used for years. Range compensating scopes, pyrodex pellets, hot primersand Sabots have made themas popular as shotguns in the shotgun only state I live in.

Now we have compounds that have %80 let-offs that are as fast as any of the Xbows out there. I don't know what is right and maybe we should all go back to stick bows. They worked for Mr. Bear and Mr. Hill just fine.

I guess if Xbows bring more hunters into our fold we are better off. Maybe not personally, but as a community. We need as much new blood as we can get or our sport of choice will continue to wither in both the number of hunters and the public perception.