HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Deer Hunting
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 10:21 AM
ab_newfie

Default RE: New to Deer Hunting

Thanks everyone for the great and helpful advice.
My hunting buddy and I actually took a nice little 4x4 Buck yesterday!! I have pics, but don't know how to attach them.
I have hunted whitetail deer the last couple of years but still consider myself a rookie when it comes to hunting these great anaimals. I now know the importance of being scent-free, or at least smell like something other then a predator. I'm am realizing the importance of calling and ifimplied corrrectly, how effective it can be.
The deer aren't in rut in my area, or even in pre-rut. So, are grunt calls as effective now? Or should I stick to contact calls, doe/fawn calls?
I have purchased the "true Talker" with the dvd and have been amazed on how closely I can mimic some calls already. What an awesome tool!
I did find the buck I want to take this year, but didn't get the chance for a shot.I seen him in the same area twice. So I'm thinking there is a good chance he'll be there again, feeding of course. I have a game plan on how to get to his area, hopefully without getting busted!
As always, advice is always welcome! Thanks again!