Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to Deer Hunting

Old 09-25-2007, 03:30 PM

Default New to Deer Hunting

I'm wondering what the better deer calls are and when and how you use them.
I'm new to deer hunting and would appreciate any help/advice/tips anyone would be gracious enough to provide me.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to Deer Hunting

Well i like the Grunt call and rattling during the rut. I bought my grunt from walmart and rattling antlers form a deer my uncle shot. All i do is put the grunt call in my mouth and grunt first then rattle and during the sequence i like to put a few grunts out.. Also "The Can" works pretty good to.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Go to this page as a start and listen to the Sounds the Whitetail makes. Eachsound has itsuses to a deer just like each time we speak we mean something different also. Pay particular attention to Contact calls. Deer have a way of communicating with each other in the morning after the sun rises say 7:00 to 9:00am to "SEE" who else is around them. It canbest bedescribed as a real light woodpecker sound. But if you really listen closely, you will distinguish the various deer calling out. You can actually hear them moving along together. It is your job to become one of them by calling out "Contact" but not alerting them to danger. Becoming one of them. With a little practice you will have deer wacking to you with no problem. I like the can by Primos for does around rut. But I use the True Talker year round for contact. You can sound like a doe all the way to a mature buck.
Good Luck! Any Questions, ask them. There will always be someone here to answer or help you.
http://www.wideworldofhunting.com/soundsofwhitetail/WhitetailDeerSounds.htm
Old 09-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

To be honest, as a new hunter, leave the calls alone, they aren't a magic potion and you might just do more harm then good...First year, concentrate on learning and getting proficent with your weapon, learn what preferred foods they are eating in your area, practice good scent control and ambush tactics and kill a few does....
Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very good advice from nchawkeye. If you are just starting off you will have far more to consider than using the right call. Get out into the hunting area that you will be hunting well before the season starts, sit quietly and just watch and listen. Learn from the surroundings around you. Determine the prevailing wind in your area and scout for deer signs as well as looking for good areas to set up that offer good concealment and and clear lines of fire. Don't worry about the buck of a lifetime. If it comes your way that's a bonus. Enjoy the oppertunity of getting out hunting and appreciate every moment you are out there.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:11 AM

ive been hunting for 6 years now (im a 21yr old college student) and always spend all my time in the woods (im in the woods more than i am in class or the library). i know that here in south georgia its so hot that the rut for us is always different than it is in the north, and not predictable at all. as far as calls go, it varies for the different phases of the rut and down herethe phases very from county to county like you wouldnt believe. the bowhunting wma i visit i can use a 10 sec rattling call at sunrise and get a response but if i go an hour in the other direction, they are past that and only respond to estreus scents. talk to hunters in your immediate area and see what they have to say. it will all be different but you can still have a clue to what works and what kind of activity you have in your area.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 PM

I agree and disagree with a couple things.

Yes as a new hunter , you need to learn the sounds of the woods. ESPECIALLY, if you hunt the same general area. There will be a dead tree 150 yards to the south that the same woodpecker will hit every morning checking his bait holes. There will be a couple trees that didn't quite fall down and will squeek as they rub each other blowing in the wind. There will be the owl that is settling down into his nest and will call out to his other buddies before going quiet. You will hear the local flock of turkeys, if your lucky, flying down to the ground to your left. Pretty soon you will hear the sound of shuffling through the leaves behind your back and go into alert mode only to find that it is just a couple of squirrels looking for breakfest. But there will come a time when you hear the distinctive sound of burring or grunting moving through the woods. And this is the sound of the deer calling out in the morning to each other for one simple reason. And that is contact! They feel safer by calling out and getting a reassuring response that others are in the same area. This calms them. You have to master this sound and become one of them, moving through the forest, reassuring each deer around you that you are one of them. That is your job when using a contact call.

But you won't get them to come your way, unless you call out. Practice listening! Then Practice Calling! It will make you a better and more successful hunter!

Eric S. Stacy AKA DeerDope

Old 09-28-2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the great and helpful advice.
My hunting buddy and I actually took a nice little 4x4 Buck yesterday!! I have pics, but don't know how to attach them.
I have hunted whitetail deer the last couple of years but still consider myself a rookie when it comes to hunting these great anaimals. I now know the importance of being scent-free, or at least smell like something other then a predator. I'm am realizing the importance of calling and ifimplied corrrectly, how effective it can be.
The deer aren't in rut in my area, or even in pre-rut. So, are grunt calls as effective now? Or should I stick to contact calls, doe/fawn calls?
I have purchased the "true Talker" with the dvd and have been amazed on how closely I can mimic some calls already. What an awesome tool!
I did find the buck I want to take this year, but didn't get the chance for a shot.I seen him in the same area twice. So I'm thinking there is a good chance he'll be there again, feeding of course. I have a game plan on how to get to his area, hopefully without getting busted!
As always, advice is always welcome! Thanks again!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:38 AM

I may be new to Deer hunting, but I'm definetly new to this forum.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:48 PM

Thats a great lookin buck. Where about were you guys huntin?

Quick Reply: New to Deer Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.