HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions
Old 09-21-2007, 01:35 PM
tmeservey

Default RE: anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

If you cannot tell the difference between a 6-7 month old button buck and a mature doe, you should not be allowed to hunt whitetail. It's not rocket science unless you are shooting them at night or they are running in brush. Then it would be hard to distinguish the two. Take time and use respect when judging your quarry.

I hunt in 3J, we take our does with bow and mzlder. We also get nuisence permits from farmers to harvest does that cause severe crop damage in summer. These permits are given to hunters to use by the farmers. I personally this summer have seen and increase in 8 pointers from previous years. AR are helping in my opinion. Now if some of these 2.5 year old 8 points can slide through this year,then we would see some bueatiful bucks next year. There are definetly more bucks around this season in 3J. Our deer cams are prooving it.

In many parts of NY we need to go to a 1 buck limit/ you choose your weapon of choice tokill that buck.Especially on the eastern end of the state.This should go on for a few years and then allow a bowhunter to harvest a buck and also with gun. Most hunters couldn't tell you the difference in a 1.5 year old 8 point from a 3.5 year old 8 point but AR will help more bucks reach maturity. It's not perfect but a start.