HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake buying..
Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 PM
BearClaw007

Default RE: I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake buying..

No, you didn't make a mistake. 45 lbs was an extremely popular draw weight for deer hunting, back before compounds. The key is to have a bow you can handle easily and shoot accurately. When you don't have a lot of KE, you fall back on momentum to maximize the KE your bow IS capable of producing. A heavier arrow with higher momentum will carry more energy downrange, and that's where you need it. 24/7 hunter is on the right track with his 500 gn arrows.
You're right Arther P. But the other thing, actually more than 1, that a recurve shooter needs to keep in mind is the maximum hold time when at full draw and arrow drop down range with heavier arrows that are without BH's.

The archer should be able to line up his/her shot within a time span of 5-8 seconds. Having a bow that can be easily drawn back and controlled with a modicum of muscle force is the key.

The other thing that the archer needs to keep in mind while shooting a recurve is the weight of the arrow & BH together. A 45# bow should be able to fire an arrow of 450gns but this arrow may drop much faster than an arrow which is say 350Gns. Recurve shooters need to compensate for the difference in weight when shooting long yardage shots. An that is too heavy for the bow will almost always fly with a nose down attitude. Other than that, I say have fun.