HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 8 - Official International Harvesters Thread
Old 09-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Buellhunter

Default RE: 8 - Official International Harvesters Thread

went to my best hunting landyesterday morning.
Got up early, left the house at 4 am, got there about 1/2 hour before sunup.
As I pulled down the field driveway there were 2 deer, a doe and a 8 point buck at the other end where the field turns to corn.
I sat and watched the sun come up and then proceeded to the other end of the property to check a couple ladder stands. They were both still there! Deer sign everywhere. I trimmed the path a little to make getting into those stands easier and quieter. Bumped 2 deer as I made my way to the secong stand.
Almost got my truck stuck in the creek.

Next I went to the tree along the creek to hang one of my hang on stands. While I was hanging off the side of the tree a 6 point came down to the creek, took a drink and then came across the creek on the trail my stand overlooks. He saw my truck parked there and decided to head to the north instead of going into the corn. I waited until he was long gone before continuing the stand. Got it all strapped in place,climbed down and while I was standing at the base of the tree a spike came to the creek. He too stood in the creek drinking. I crouched down so I wouldn't stick out so much (I was in full camo) and he came up the bank about 5 feet from me. He saw something he did not like (me) and went back into the creek. Five minutes passed and I did not know where he had gone. I looked back to the spot behind me he had been and there he was, just high enough on the bank so he could watch me. Antlers,ears and eyes were all I could see.
He finally climbed the bank and headed to the south, along the creek.

I then drove to the area where I use 2 climbers, I put them at the base of the trees they go in and spent about 15 minutes driving my truck back and forth, knocking down the weeds and multi flora rose bushes to make access easier come season. The deer also like to follow these paths I make every year and it brings them right past my stands.

Then I headed into the woods to the middle to check 2 more ladder stands. Both were right where we left them last January. Checked them over and hung up a trail camera on a heavily traveled trail.

Looks like there are deer there again this year. Wish the bucks I saw were bigger as we have made a vow not to shoot any small bucks again this year. I am sure there are bigger ones there, it is prime deer country. We will see if my camera gets a picture of any.