HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sometimes you just have to be honest .............
Old 02-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Brian_L

Default RE: Sometimes you just have to be honest .............

Here's one more bit of advice; take at least a few days off. It sounds like you're a little frustrated and you made a very good point when you mentioned thinking too much. Try this: take some time away from shooting, maybe as much as two weeks. Muscles have incredible memory so trust me, it won't set you back. What it will do though is once you return, you'll have a clear mind and will most probably be looking forward to shooting. When you do return, keep your shooting sessions short-maybe only as long as 15 minutes. Also, concentrate on nothing but the basics; draw with the back muscles, hit a solid anchor, everything in line, and a complete follow through. I really like Byron Fergusson's suggestion of only working on one aspect of your form at a time. So, prioritize the aspects of your form which need the most work. Lastly, practice close, 5 yards or less. And shoot at a blank target even if you have to cover your target with a bag, sheet, etc. The last thing you want to get caught up in is where your arrow is hitting because that will introduce frustration again and as soon as that happens, you're spinning your wheels. After you feel like you've polished your form some you can then start working your way back from the target. When you do get to this point I would still suggest beginning each session with some close range shooting to emphasize your form.