HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 PM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Well I might as well get a couple of licks in on this old horse.

Why is it that the QDMA specifically says that QDM is not for every hunter or every piece of property. They even give a list of questions i.e Do you have the resources? Do you have enough land? Do you have landowner cooperation? etc. etc. The inventors of the whole QDM strategy know it is not for everyone but apparently some oftheir members and advocates didn't get the memo or bother to read through the QDMA site thoroughly enough to wrap their brains around that fact. Well just in case you skimmed through and missed this part from the QDMA website:

Is QDM Right for You?

Quality deer management is not a panacea and many things should be considered before implementing QDM practices on your hunting land. If you answer yes to the following questions, QDM may be right for you. · Do you have enough acreage to manage your deer population without being severely affected by hunting pressure on adjacent properties? If not, will your neighbors join you and possibly others in forming a QDM cooperative? · Is the habitat on your hunting property adequate to produce and maintain a healthy deer herd? If not, do you and your hunting companions have the funds, equipment, and commitment to manage and improve the habitat? · Do the deer-hunting regulations in your state allow enough flexibility to manage your herd? Does your state wildlife agency encourage and assist landowners with management and allow adequate doe harvests? · Are you and your hunting companions prepared to commit to a long-term (often five or more years) management program? · Do you and your hunting companions understand the financial, time, and energy commitments and have realistic expectations regarding a QDM program?
When considering QDM, realistic expectations must be stressed. Management goals should be set with the potential of the local herd in mind. As a quality herd becomes established, it is important not to let expectations exceed the capabilities of the herd or habitat. Significant changes to deer herds and deer habitats do not happen overnight and often take several years to become obvious.
Yes, I quoted myself. From like page 11 of this very thread. The Quality Deer Management Association founders know that QDM is not for everyone,why is it so hard fortheir member/advocates to accept it.
Since we are quoting from their site wolfen68.