HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Range Report
Thread: Range Report
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Range Report

ORIGINAL: yeoman

Cayugad - what has been the best 100yd.bullet/powder combo you have found for your GMbarrel? Mine as you know is on a sidelock so maybe I should specify that the bullet needs to be pullable with a range rod screw in the event of a misfire or loading without powder.
That Green Mountain Barrel of mine shoots so many things well...

110 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 200 grain XTP is deadly.

110 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 250 grain Shockwave is deadly.

100 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 300 grain Hornady XTP with the sabot that comes with it ... does a real good job.

Remember, if you ever load without powder and can not pull that projectile. remove your nipple and with a nipple pick or tooth pick, just pack powder down the bolster, pushing as much of it in under the level of the nipple threads. Then replace the nipple and cap and fire it. That projectile will travel well over 25 yards and has a lot more power then you think, so be careful. That saves you from pulling any.

Be sure to aim at something you can see.. mark your ramrod for when you check you can tell if the projectile has cleared. When you shoot, you will see and hear that projectile go down range and hit cardboard or something like that. And if it does not come out the first time, repack the bolster with powder THEN RE-SEAT THAT PROJECTILE onto the powder.

of course, I never had to do that... But have seen it done many times. Also a good air compresser can blow them out the end of the barrel as well.