HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "THE TRUTH"
Thread: "THE TRUTH"
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 08:16 PM
mikesugar

Default RE: "THE TRUTH"

I am new to archery and will hopefull have my first hunt this fall. I have a Fred Bear Truth, which is essentially my first bow.

I have to say I agree with the comments so far. It shoots great. It is accurate, consistent, smooth, quiet. But it is hard on strings. I got the bow in March and have shot it only at indoor ranges at Bass Pro and Gander. The serving at the module wore completely through after about 1000 shots. The rest of the string looked brand new - no fraying at all. Fred Bear replaced the string and cablefor free under warranty, which I did not exepct them to do because strings and cables are specifically disclaimed in the warranty.

They sent a new stock string and cable to my Bass pro so they could inspect the cam. They thought it might be misaligned or have a burr. But the cam looked fine so they put on the new string and cable. I've only shot about 200-300 shots on the new strings and already the serving at the module looks like it's more than half way through its life. It's separated and flattened and the coils slide up and down. The serving at the nock looks fine.

I actually think its not that the strings are bad, but that the module is harsh. I've looked at modules on other bows and they look like they have a larger radius at the break. I imagine this means they will have a longer valley than the Truth, but can still have a solid back wall. One thing I immediately noticed about the Truth was that it had a much shorter valley than a BearInstinct I had been using previously.

I don't know if this is true, but a tech at Gander told me that the stock string is a Zebra. I would love to know if other Truth owners get much better results with a different string. I cant afford tobe replacing the string and cable every 1000 shots. If you've tried a better/custom string on the Truth please let us know how it holds up compared to the stock string.

Mike