HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ENCORE POWDER AND LOAD COMBINATIONS?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 03:08 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ENCORE POWDER AND LOAD COMBINATIONS?

From what I have read .. and understand there is not first hand experience here..

Encores and Pro Hunters are one of those rifles that seem to shoot powerful loads very well. I have watched a lot of hunting programs where they use them. Their standard load is 3 50 grain pellets and a 250 grain Shockwave. Now that is a real slammer of a load.

From what I read, I think falcon might be on to something that for standard moderate distance shooting, a simple 100 grain load and a Shockwave might produce all the desired effects you need, with less recoil, and less expense. Also do not under estimate the power of that load.

All you can do it try. Get some 250 grain Shockwaves and start out with 90 grains of Loose powder and work up 10 grains at a time until the group falls apart. Of if you have pellets try two of them and if the accuracy is good, try three. You can always go back to what works for you. I like Triple Se7en 2f and sabots in most of my inlines. Although Pyrodex RS and even Goex are great powders as well.

At least you purchased one of the finest shooting muzzleloaders out there. If that thing will not shoot, you have few places to look to correct the problems. Good luck with it, and be sure and let us know what load works best for you and what kind of results you are getting.

Also let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum and to the sport of black powder. You will have a lot of fun.