HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Brit won't use her nose
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 08:53 PM
SixxemKennels

Default RE: Brit won't use her nose

This is a tough one to answer not knowing alot about her early bird exposure and the amount of bird exposure she's had. But, anytime in training your come up against a problem is either time to slow down, or back up. Inthis case, I think you need to back up. Alot of the ability for you to fix this dog would depend on your ability to get her in the field and into birds. Not just once in a while, I mean lots and lots of birds. I would get some good flying quail or chukar. Find a field or two that has thick enough cover that she won't see a bird. Plant the field with a few birds, then turn her loose without the CC. Let her find birds, bump, chase, and hopefully not catch. If she bumps them and chases down and catches them, no big deal at this point. She's got problems, and sometimes you need to let her get away with some things, in order to fix others. Some brittanies i have trained are very prone to bumping birds and have an almost impulsive desire to chase birds all over the place including those of the non-gamebird variety. This is good up to a point to build desire, but a 1 1/2 year old dog should start to realize these are not the primary focus while in the field. You need to discourage this....GENTLY. I would stop her from running wild chasing birds around the house at leastwhile you try to get her focused on pointing game birds. If you can't get her into alot of birds, on a regular basis, then a trainer would probably be your best option.