HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To shoot a fawn?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Beagle001

Default RE: To shoot a fawn?

Dr. James C. Kroll has been covering a lot of issues lately dealing with the harvesting of does, in North American Whitetail, and ive seen a few more articles by another biologist i cant think of at the moment. but anyway...
~ feel no guilt about shooting a doe with fawns... because the fawns will make it.
~also people dont shoot does that have buck fawns... bad idea because the mother will kick out the buck fawns to a new area, but if she is shot the chances of having the bucks stay in the area is much greater.
~Does of every age class should be taken, not just the old loner does, not just yearlings, but everywhere in between as well.
~He also stated that in most cases, there are not many lone, barren does. I believe the age of the one they recorded was 15 or something like that.
.... My two cents worth.... shoot what your happy with, but if i see a doe come by she's done. All a doe fawn is to me is a big old smart doe without the experience, so if i have the chance ill take her before she has the opportunity to get smart and ruin some of my hunts