HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 800 yards
Thread: 800 yards
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 04:38 PM
BigTiny

Default RE: 800 yards

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Cascade...Funny you posted this, earlier this week on "Best of the West" the guy shot a black bear at 728 yards, dropped him on the spot...I thought, dang, I sure hope no new hunters (or younger) see this and think it's OK for them to shoot at those kinds of ranges....I will say, this guy had his "stuff" together...Custom rifle, scope, ammo, rest..everything....And he can sure shoot...You can even order a video tape and he will teach you how to shoot this was...I view these type shows as 30 minutes commercials...Frankly this guy should be teaching our sniper
units ...He is that good, but he isn't the norm....

I have seen at least 30-40 hunters shoot their deer rifles in the past 4-5 years and its my opinion that the
"average" deer hunter should keep his shots to less than 150 yards....Now, I am comfortable myself and practice to 300 yards...In eastern NC you can easily have shots past that, but, most deer are just a few bounds away from either a swamp or a cutover, that's why I stop at 300....If I lived out west, where you could see the animal run for several hundred yards after the shot, I could see 400, with the right setup and practice....
Keep in mind that guy's rig probably set him back $10K(not counting the custom ammo), and he makes his living doing this, so he gets lots of practice. I would like to see him try to make that shot with an off the rack gun and ammo.