HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Idaho reconsidering???
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 08:52 PM
wabi
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idaho reconsidering???

I guess I'm fortunate to live in a state that's pretty liberal with it's hunting regulations. I've been hunting for around 50 years now and been shooting muzzleloaders since the early 1970's. I started off with a percussion sidelock .36 and soon had to try a flintlock .54. It was not only fun, but a great slayer of game. A .54 roundball is plenty for most game, as long as you are willing to get close enough to put it right where it should go.
When I started my archery hunting there were basic2 choices in bows - longbow or recurve. The the compound came along, but it was just too heavy & high-tech for me.
I still enjoy shooting a percussion sidelock (or flintlock, but I don't own one at the moment), but for serious big game hunting (deer is about it here in Ohio) I grab the inline. Why?
Because it is easier? - NO
Because it has more range? - somewhat, as an error in range estimation isn't quite as critical, but I still like to keep shots under 100 yards.
Because it gives me the highest percentage chance of cleanly killing the deer with one shot! With the scoped inline and a modern bullet in a sabot I can be veryconfidant in about any shot to 100 yards, or even slightly beyond.
If the law changed to flintlocks with primative sights& roundballs only I wouldn't feel like I had less hunting opportunity, I'd simply have to be a lot more selective in my shot opportunities.
Is the inline with a scope stillmuzzleloading?
It's legal, it's ethical, and it loads one shot at a time from the muzzle, so it's muzzleloadering to me!

I also use an Excalibur crossbow for archery season. It still flings a pointy little stick that drops like a rock for trajectory. It still kills by putting a razor sharp broadhead through the vitals, and it's legal archery equipment here.
If the law said longbows only, I'd still be out there deer hunting. I have a longbow & cedar arrows hanging right beside my desk as I write this. I still shoot my recurve several times a week and love to go "stump shooting" with my young son for relaxation. But for serious deer hunting I want the crossbow with a multiple crosshair (like a mil-dot scope for various ranges) scope and aluminum arrows with a mechanical broadhead with razor sharp blades that cut a massive wound channel.
Is the crossbow stillarchery?
It's legal, it's ethical, and it flings arrows, so it'sarchery to me!

If you want to hunt with a flintlock or longbow I have no complaints, all I would ask is that you know the limitations and keep the shots ethical.