HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - WB to the Rescue
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default WB to the Rescue

A couple of new shooters, brothers, showed up at our club last week with a new bow they are sharing. It was a package deal bow they'd picked up at one of those mega-chain superstores with cheap plastic sights and a non-descript prong rest. "Professionally set up and tuned" which in advertising lingo obviously means FUBAR.

Well, I worked on their bow and got it going as best as I could get it with nothing more than an educated eyeball and an allen wrench for tools, and and they had a ball. Before they left, I made a couple of suggestions on upgrades, including new sights and (choke, gag [:'(]) a whisker bisquit - they were struggling with keeping the arrow on the rest and I knew that would take care of the problem until they were a little further along the learning curve.

So, last night I took my tools and got 'em fixed up. Before the evening was over they were both shooting 6" groups at 30 yards and had gone around our short 3D course without missing a single target. [:-]

I've always liked the simplicity aspect of the whacky basket but have avoided using the thing. I had no desire to be associated with the radical semi-religious fervor a lot of guys have about it. I have to admit though, based on what I saw last night it's a darn good rest for folks who are just starting out. Gotta be a decent rest for someone who knows how to shoot.

Now they've brought along their other brother who wants to learn how to shoot a longbow. Got more work to do.