HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 209 primers - too hot or not?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 10:29 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 209 primers - too hot or not?

The main concern of a lot of shooters with hot primers was;

The force of the primer moved the main charge prior to full ignition. And it is true that even though slight, some of the chronograph readings do support that certain primers do add actual velocity (or take away) how ever slight. Whether it effect accuracy, only rifle rifle knows for sure. Try the primers in your rifle and see how the accuracy is.

The hotter the primer, the more the crud ring possibilities. While hotter primers can make an impact of fowling or the crud ring issue, crud rings can vary between rifles, geographical locations, powders, and also vary in severity of the crud rings. Some shooters report little or none with one primer and powder. Others report they can not safely load a second projectile without a thorough swabbing of the bore.

Hotter primers tend to expand more and hence get stuck in the breech plug more. I personally felt that this had more to do with rifle design then primer properties. Again, only your rifle will answer that question concerning expansion of primers.

When I was shooting pellets I personally wanted as hot a primers as I could get to make sure that as much fire possible was thrown through and around that pellet making for a more consistent ignition. This is especially true in hunting situations where the weather might be damp and powder ignition could be effected. I used Remington Kleenbore Primers with loose powder, but used Winchester W209 primers when shooting pellets as they are a little hotter then the Kleenbore.

I think you need to get some different brand primers and try them out with different powder and projectile combinations. Find the one that works for you best for you and your rifle and stick with it. I would recommend the Remington Kleenboreor the Winchester W209. I have not shot the new Winchester 777 primers so I will not comment.

Have you seen the price primers and caps have jumped? It is getting crazy out there.