HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Loose vs pellets
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Hasenpfeffer

Default RE: Loose vs pellets

As mentioned by wabi, Chapman, cayugad, et alia, loose powder is infinitely variable in the amount you use, so you can tailor the load to your rifle. I measured some 50 grain 777 pellets one time, and, if I remember correctly without digging up some old notes, they were actually 33 grains+/-1 grain by weight (somebody correct me if you've measured them recently). I always got vertical stringing with them in my Omega. In fact,loose 777 and BM3 produced stringing until I started weighing out individual powder charges. After I started weighing out my BM3 charges, my 2" horizonal by 5" vertical groups shrank to 2"x2" at 100 yards from my Omega.

Caution:100 grains by volume is about 75.5 grains by weight for the bottle of 777 FFG I have. Measure out by volume first, and then weigh the charge on a powder scale to see what the equivalent weight is. Don't start with 100 grains 777 by weight -- that's close to an absolute maximum charge. Also, yourbottle of 777 might weigh a little different than mybottle (lot to lot variation), so weigh your own powder and get your own conversion factor.

Hasenpfeffer