HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - speed?
Thread: speed?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2003, 04:14 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: speed?

Why do you ask? If you want to know if that is fast enough to kill a deer, hell yes! Just a few years ago that was screamin' fast for a hunting set up. It still is for people like me with short draw lengths.

Or are you wanting to know if that is what your bow should do because you are doubting your equipment. Let me give you a some advice that I am sure Arthur will agree with me on. You bought a top of the line bow that will spit arrows out with the best of them. If you took this bow and set up to the proper draw length, a draw weight you could comfortably shoot and the proper arrows I will garuantee it will kill deer if you do your part. It does not matter what the speed is when you get done. If you want to run it thru the chrono just for sh*&s and giggles, feel free I guess, but it really doesn't mean anything.

Is what I am saying is, what good is it going to do you? If you are not happy with the results there is not much you can do. The bow will only put out what it puts out. The only way to get a noticable increase in performance would be to lengthen your draw, raise the draw weight, or go to a considerably lighter arrow. Or all three. But then the bow will not be set up correctly and will be harder to shoot. Not worth the gain in performance in my opinion, when what you had was more than enough to begin with.

Set the bow up to your liking. The draw that you like and is comfortable and with what ever you want on the bow. Peep, kisser, silencers, what ever works best for you. It's your bow after all. Then tune it to the best of your ability and practice your ass off! After that don't worry about it and NEVER doubt your equipment. I have heard of poeple killing deer with 40lb recurves and 500+ grn arrows. Probably got all of 150 fps out of it with 30 ft/lbs of Ke.

Kool high tech equipment is great, and I love it, but in the end you are the one killing the prey, not the tool in your hand.

On a side note, that speed sounds about right to me, I would be happy with it. Your ICS hunters should be 400's most likely and if they are at 28 inches they are 394 grns for the black ones and 408 for the camo, with 4 inch vanes. That is over 50 ft/lbs of Ke and should work just fine.

Paul