HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New hunters and affordable gear
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 06:26 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New hunters and affordable gear

good post....

alot of people get caught up in buying the best and only recomending the best and dont realize "hey maybe this guy is new, has a family, isnt rich etc and doesnt NEED a 3000$ setup to shoot a deer"

myself...i started out with whatever dad gave me. clothes were almost all hand me downs...guns were used and not the greatest...but they were mine and i killed alot of game with that marlin 22lr and single shot 20ga. dads given me alot of guns throughout time now...but those are about the only 2 hunting guns.

now im 20...i work..i dont have a family or anything so when i want something i buy it. just spent about 1200$ on a groundhog rig. for goodness sakes...a gun to shoot groundhogs with...cant eat them...dont do nothin with them...most people would call me nuts...thats always been a dream of mine...a tack drivin varmint rifle...now i own it...i bought it because i can..making money...not much better to spend it on...figure i better buy my toys now while im young...(dont worry 1200 isnt where im stopping on that rifle!! lol)

but i'll admit...i still got a 4x 30$ tasco on my marlin 22..guess what...i havent had to resight it in in years...i can still headshoot squirrels all day...i do better with it than i do a shotgun alot of times.

still remember looking through the TV shaped 6x weaver scope on the borrowed winchester 88 when i shot my first deer..

i just shot that marlin 22 today. i was having a BALL. shooting clay pigeons 150yds away...still a tack driver!

expensive stuff is usually better....but the cheaper stuff can and does work....if you cant afford the leupold buy the tasco...just be easy on it and dont expect it to last forever...if you cant afford the 1200$ groundhog rig, use whatever you got laying around...i did for YEARS till this year...i used my deer rifle...guess what..it worked!