HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Goin hunting in AZ
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 AM
HighDesertWolf
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Goin hunting in AZ

ORIGINAL: Kamil

Im goin to unit 36 b to hunt whitetails. Im goin the 3rd week in october.
I hunted 36B last year for coue's deer the whitetail specie here in AZ. I only saw one buck the 4 days I was down there and I spotted him with my spotting scope at 600+ yards. it was pretty rough hunting there contending with the helicopters searching the area for illegals. the illegals leave alot of trash out there too. I stumbled across several fresh camp sites that were likely illegals camps then the last day I was out there I was trying to stalk a heard of deer that I spotted hoping maybe there was a buck in with them I then came through a clearing and spotted a group of about a dozen illegals about 60 yards off they spotted me and they took off running I later found out border patrol got them. Ill never hunt down there again it was absolutely ridiculous with all the BS ya gotta put up with down there. with all the human activity down there I suggest you bring a long range rifle like a 270 or 30-06 and sight it in for about 200 yards if ya do get a shot its gonna be a 200+ yard shot spot and stalkin is pointless since ya have a better chance running into illegals than deer.

edit: forgot to mention when I was hunting there last year it was the same time your hunt is 3rd week of october. the weather can be different each year but when I was there we were having 90 degree weather during the day light hours then at night it was getting down below freezing I recall looking at the thermometer on my camper one night and it was 25 degrees. so Id take some light clothes for the day and some warm stuff for night.

Edit: excuse me I just remembered I hunted 36A which is just north of 36B but you will likely run into the same BS I did if not wourse.. that close to the border forget the 270 or 30-06 you would probably be better off with a AK-47 instead. you will deffinately see illegals.