HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any Wildlife Technicians in here?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2002, 09:10 PM
Corvid Killer

Default RE: Any Wildlife Technicians in here?

Yes, I am...Kinda. I just graduated from State Univ. of NY at Cobleskill this past December with an AAS degree in fisheries and wildlife technology, and a Bachelor of Technology degree wildlife management. Probably one of the best things I've done in my life. Two summers ago I worked as a wildlife technician in West Virginia on the coal mines working with small mammals (mice), reptiles and amphibians, and songbirds. Last summer I spent in Illinois (Site M, or Jim Edgar Panther Creek State Fish and Wildlife Area) working doing quail trapping and radio telemetry, predators, and songbirds. I might go and spend another summer there this year. About the pay, well I'm not doing this stuff for the pay. I am doing the stuff because I love what the job entails, being all hands on application, and working directly with the animals. Also I want conserve what we haven't already lost. But to give you an idea, a seasonal technician will generally be anywhere from zero (volunteer) to up to $2500 a month. Average is about 1000-1250 per month. Also, housing is usually provided at no cost if needed. When I worked my first technician job, I was getting only $800 a month, but it was probably one of the best learning experiences I've had in my life. Working in Illinois, I made $1500 per month. I will be getting a raise if I decide to go back. These seasonal positions are great, because you are always outside, working with the animals. You can get full time technician positions with state and federal agencies too, usually paying anywhere from 20-40K per year, average about 27K usually with benefits (based on only a guess from the job advertisements I've seen). I actually gotta run now, but if you want to know about Wildlife Biologists as opposed to the technicians a little more, let me know. Take care.
Rob

Edited by - Corvid Killer on 01/18/2002 07:09:40