Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Any Wildlife Technicians in here? >

Any Wildlife Technicians in here?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any Wildlife Technicians in here?

Old 01-24-2002, 07:57 AM

Default RE: Any Wildlife Technicians in here?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I actually looked into this after I graduated high school.

Most of the colleges offering this line of study were out west or up north. There are actually 2 schools here in NY and 1 in Vermont that I remember offering these &quot;courses&quot; of study.

***One thing.....the pay is crap o'la!!!!!!!!

The average starting salary was something like $18,500. Remember this was about 10 years ago, but I can't imagine it is much higher today.

Hate to burst your bubble, but find another line of work.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Hi Catskills,
I just got an offer to attend a famous Wildlife Technician school in Vermont. Free room and board and they guaranteed me $100,000 per year when I graduate. They saw my 19 pointer and felt I was well prepared for this field!

Old 01-24-2002, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fazulle what is name and address of this wildlife technician school? I will be quitting my job and pay to go to school there if they garauntee a job paying 100K a year after graduation, I carried close to a 4.0 GPA in school so I am sure I could handle the curriculum.

The Tazman
Old 01-24-2002, 11:32 AM

Fazulle Hunter
Yeah, what school is this? I've never heard of ANY wildlife technician getting paid $50,000 let alone $100,000. Maybe for a Wildlife Biologist position, but you will have to have your PhD too. I'm surprised I've never heard of this school in Vermont. I have attended many wildlife conservation conferences when I was in college, which was geared toward the college’s wildlife students. I never heard of students in Vermont. I went to school only about 45 minutes from the VT border too. I'm more curious to hear about this. I have two degrees in wildlife. I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking me as a transfer student.

Take care,

Rob
Old 01-24-2002, 12:02 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Fazulle Hunter
Yeah, what school is this? I've never heard of ANY wildlife technician getting paid $50,000 let alone $100,000. Maybe for a Wildlife Biologist position, but you will have to have your PhD too. I'm surprised I've never heard of this school in Vermont. I have attended many wildlife conservation conferences when I was in college, which was geared toward the college’s wildlife students. I never heard of students in Vermont. I went to school only about 45 minutes from the VT border too. I'm more curious to hear about this. I have two degrees in wildlife. I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking me as a transfer student.

Take care,

Rob

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Dude, competition is fierce! You think I'm gonna give you all the facts and info! Tough luck!
Old 01-24-2002, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Fazulle Hunter

Take care,

Rob

Dude, competition is fierce! You think I'm gonna give you all the facts and info! Tough luck!

Sounds like someone is blowing smoke up our rear ends!!!

The Tazman
Old 01-24-2002, 12:25 PM

Fazulle,
You crankin our chain? That is not a good way to make friends on this board. Was that even you who shot that deer, or your old man?

Rob

Edited by - Corvid Killer on 01/25/2002 11:17:45
Old 01-24-2002, 03:14 PM

Ya man, if you're gonna treat people like this, get out.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:28 PM

Hey Kreg,

I was a wildlife technician for the KY Department of Fish and Wildlife for 3 seasons (8 1/2 month seasonal). It was the best job I ever had - I never once dredded going to work. The pay is not great, but there is alot to be said for job satisfaction (and being able to hunt pretty much every day). I worked on a WMA, so alot of time was spent planting, bushhogging, repairing gates/signs, managing controlled hunts, helping with wildlife surveys, etc. As mentioned above, it is a very tough field to get into. I finally gave up hope after 3 years. I couldn't keep working seasonal with no benefits (I have a wife and kid). BTW, you pretty much have to have a degree to get a job - the competition is getting tough. I was competing against PhDs for entry level biologist jobs ($24,000/ yr) - now thats sad!
Old 01-25-2002, 05:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey fazulle hunter, quit blowing smoke and name the school.

Either there is no such school or you are being suckered, the head man in charge of Virginias game commision doesn't make as much money as you are talking about being garaunteed.

The Tazman
Old 01-25-2002, 07:58 AM

i did my first year of college studying to be one..but for many reasons i decided not to go into the field..the biggest being is it wouldn't make me enough money...