HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Review of Summit's Hot Dot sight
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Greg / MO
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Review of Summit's Hot Dot sight

MDBUCKHUNTER -

Changing the battery requires removing the four screws on the bottom cover plate as Len pointed out, sliding the old battery out from a holding tab, and inserting the new battery. You then screw the cover plate back on. The screws are fitted with Phillips heads. The backup battery gives youmore than aminute's memory to replace the lithium ion battery.

Summit believes that replacing the main battery once per year should avoid problems, preferably right before seaon I would assume. Obviously, I have not yet had the sight a full year so I can't verify that yet.

By water resistant, Summit means they covered the electronic circuitry board with an automotive coating to protect against corrosion. It will not stand up to submersion, but sitting on a hunt in normal rain appears to have been successfully tested. I have not sat on stand myself in the rain, as it's something I don't often do when hunting season isn't in.

Will it catch on with target shooters? I seriously doubt it; this is a hunting sight. Is it good enough? I think my first picture shows it is. Granted, I've been shooting a lot this summer --but so would a target archer. The sight's strengths are its pendulum features, the lack of obstruction surrounding the aiming dot and your quarry, and the ability to control the intensity of the LED aiming dots. I'm not so sure that any of those are especially appealing to target archers. I could be wrong, though.

The biggest reason I don't think it will catch on with target archers yet is its lack of a micro-adjust system. While the sight itself carries some incredible technology within it, the adjustment features are pretty basic, no-frills dovetail sliding brackets.

livinfortherut -

I can tell you the sight housing and its enclosed electronics are pretty durable; I had my bow in my bow vise when installing the sight, and didn't realize that when I loosened one of the adjustment screws that it allowed the sight to slide freely down the dovetail bracket -- and take a four-foot fall and bounce off my concrete floor in my home archery shop. I picked it up, looked it over, turned it on and it performed flawlesly, no worse for the wear --or bounce --in this occasion.

Jeff-

I almost inserted pictures of how far of an anglethe bow had to be at to shut the aiming dots off, but was afraid the review was picture-heavy as it was. Pictures can make a review, but too many become bothersome. I don't think you'd ever have any problems with that feature, unless youcanted your compoundlike Ted Nugent sometimes does. Let's just say that if you shot the way good shooters shoot, you'd never have to worry about it.

And that's not an extra sight to try out;I wanted to show the packaging it came in, and was trying to kill two birds with one stone in that one pic. I didn't get "a few sights to try out" and have no affiliation whatsoever with Summit.