HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ButchA's new rifle!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 AM
ButchA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Thanks... I found out some pretty cool info on my new/used Savage. I called their 1-800 number and asked them to research my serial # and see if they can tell me whatever they can.

Savage model 110, chambered in .308 --- Serial: F7##### (translates to Sept 1997). Rifle was the last of the "J" series that they made for years and years and years. It's long action, but yet a short caliber. Deep inside underneath the bolt, behind the internal magazine box, is ametal block. Curiously, I removed the bolt and peered around inside with a mag-light. Sure enough, there is a blocking device down deep inside the stock. .....Interesting.

From what I understand, the Savage 110 was made for 40-something years. In 1998, they tried revising it (didn't go too well), as their "2nd Generation models" sucked and almost brought the company to bankruptcy. In 2003, they rebounded with the current "3rd Generation models", the Savage 10GXP, 11F, 11G, 14 Classic (short action Accu-trigger models), and the 110GCNS, 111F, 114 Classic, etc.. (long action Accu-trigger models), which are currently ongun racks instores today.

Regarding my serial# and the cheap Simmons scope, Savage said that the 3-9x32's came with them as a package and sold to Wal-Mart.
I have a Wally World Savage 110?!? [:-]

Butch A.