Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ButchA's new rifle!!!!! >

ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Well guys, here it is.... Let's close out the thread about "Help me pick a new deer rifle" - 'cause I found a deal of a lifetime...

Summary/review:

Ruger 77 --- Very nice. Excellent quality. But it just didn't feel right. It was nice, but it didn't spark my interest.

[/align]An old used Winchester model 70 in a .270 --- OMG... I died and went to heaven. This rifle was sweet. It just felt right. There was a magical spark there, you know? But, sadly, this rifle was beat to sh**. It was dinged and scratched all to hell, and it had raised up scope rings but no scope. (I mean, it had "see thru" scope rings, front bead and a rear sight - gotta be an old Winchester 70...)

Remington 700 in 30.06 --- Nice. Rugged. Big, bold, with a good heavy feel. You could just feel the power from it. Beautiful finish, but had no recoil pad. [&:]I decided to pass on it.

Browning A-bolt Medallion in .270 --- Beautiful. Just absolutely georgeous fit and finish. I fell in love with it. Came complete with a Nikon scope as a "package deal". But I saw the price tag and just couldn't do it. My wife would kick my a$$ from here to Timbucktu if I bought it... []

So, I went back to the other gun store that had the old Winchester model 70. I looked around some more and then I found it.... Sitting 3rd from the end of the used rack... A nice bolt action rifle complete with a scope chambered in .308 (according to the sticker). I picked it up and died and went to heaven. The price tag read: $349.95. I couldn't believe it!

Savage Model 110 in .308 (no accu-trigger, wood stock, 22" barrel, and a cheap Simmons 3-9x32 scope)

According to the gunshop, this Savage 110 is a "safe queen". It is in perfect condition, no scratches, dents, dings, no anything. It has an internal magazine box and holds 4 rounds. The reason it is $349.95 is partly due to the cheesy 3-9x32 scope on it. The gunshop quickly recommended I hock the scope on eBay and get a bigger, better, 3-9x40 quality scope for it, or even a more higher powered 4-12x40 scope.

The gun shop took out the bolt, showed me the rifle with a bore light, explained everything about Savage bolt actions to me, and really helped me out.

Anyway, about this Savage model 110... I don't know... Once I picked it up, I got the same "vibe" that I get with my old Marlin 30-30! I had the same feeling come over me that I got with that old beat up Winchester model 70. So I grabbed the Winchester 70 and shouldered it, and went back to the Savage 110 and shouldered it. Went back to the Wincester 70, went back to the Savage 110, Winchester, Savage, Winchester, Savage.... Both felt excellent and had a certain magical feel to them.

Long story short... I was left with a coin toss.

-- Get a real nice used "safe queen" Savage .308 that already has a scope (although a cheap P.O.S.) and is in absolute perfect condition. ($349.95)

-- Get an older Winchester 70 in .270 that would need work and refinishing and a new stock, plus a new scope since it only had the see thru scope mounts. ($525)

Butch A.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Default RE: ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

I had a 110E in 30-06 when I was younger, nice gun. I think you did alright and you will realy like. My savage was pretty decent on reciol as well compared to other 30-06's I have shot.

Mine was almost exactly like that one, I even had a cheap 3-9 bushnell on it. Held up fine, I sold it to a friend that still has it.

Paul
Old 05-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never owned a Savage, but from all that I have heard from friends, they are supposed to be super accurate out of the box. Congrats on your purchase and sounds like you got a very fair deal.

O.K., Now what scope are you going to buy? How about a Leupold VX II 3-9 or 4-12?

Keep us posted on your scope choice and range visit.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... I have no idea on a scope yet. I know I just don't want the cheap Simmons 3-9x32 on there.

Butch A.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:55 PM

I have a 110 in .270 but it has a synthetic stock. Sweet little gun. I still have yet to know exactly what it can do and probably won't know until I can buy a better scope. See my thread about the Simmons if you haven't already.

But, I do wonder about the price. That's what I paid for mine new. Maybe the wood stock makes the difference? Either way, you should find that it was money well spent. Good choice.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks... Yeah, I've read about Simmons scopes. Their AETEC models were supposed to be really good. But I think I heard somewhere that Bushnell bought out Simmons but I could be wrong.

I think the reason my rifle was $349 was because the wood checkered stock is still in pristine condition and the rifle itself is still excellent (aka "safe queen").

Butch A.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, man!

The .308 is a great cal, I have a Remington 673 in .308, and I like to shoot Federal Powershoks, they only cost $12.00 a box at Wally World, and $20 at your regular gun store.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Congrat's Butch! Enjoy
Old 05-06-2007, 03:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats always nice to get a new one-Some say there ugly- but they look fine to me And it does shoot good( nice& light to).( ilike my savage ss /synthetic116 in 30.06 it was a great price to- had the cheap bussnell , was a package gun to- marked down at walmart)

makes me what to go gun shopping
Old 05-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Butch,Nice gun.If it is like most Savage rifles I have ever had you might want to put a de-cellerator padon it before you shoot it.Most of the 110's I have seen have something to do (I think ) with the rake and comb of the stock.Which usually makes them kick like a mule even shot a 110 in .243 that would jolt you.

Quick Reply: ButchA's new rifle!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.