HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - taking rifle on airline?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Kodi
Spike

Default RE: taking rifle on airline?

I'm afraidflying with firearmsnot as simple as was indicated here in some of these posts. I fully agree that the important first step is getting a good quality hard case to protect your firearm. From there on, flying with it gets complicated. You must comply with two sets of requirements. One isrequiredby the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) and the other by the individual airline you choose to fly. You must comply with both and they can and do vary. For example, contrary to some posts, TSA regs and some airlines allow guns and ammo to be packed together in the gun case. Other airlines do not allow that. None of the airlines I have flown on in the last several years (and that's a bunch)have put a sticker on the outside of the case announcing that a gun was inside, but I can't vouch for all of them (However, they all require a signed card inside the case vouching that the firearm is unloaded) Bottom line, you should go on the internet and check with the government (TSA) at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtmand also at the website of the airline you are flying with to fully understand the requirements. It is also a good idea to print out the airline's firearms policy and have it with you as you will find that often airline counter personnel are ignorant of what their employer's policies are.

Further, international flights add another layer of requirements. For example most international flights limit the amount of ammo you can carry to 5 Kg (~11 pounds). Some countries will not allow semi automatic rifles. Some ban the import of more than one rifle of the same caliber. Others require that the caliber stamped on the receiver of the rifle match the head stamps on the cartridges (a potential problem for wildcatters that use fireformed brass). If you are planning a flight to an international destination, including Canada,I would urge you to check with your outfitter or booking agent to learn the specific requirements of your destination country.

In addition, checking in at airports with firearms will vary with the airport setup and their equipment. At smaller airports without extensive baggage x-ray equipment, after you check in at the airline counter and your bag is tagged,you will then hand carry your firearm over to an adjacent TSA inspection area where the TSA crew will hand inspect it. When they are done with their inspection, they will lock your case and turn it over to the airlines baggage system. At larger airports with high volume baggage x-ray setups, the gun cases may be locked at the time of airline check-in and then run thru an Xray check without any further handling on your part.

Sorry there's no simple solution, but I hope this helps!