Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

taking rifle on airline?

Old 05-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default taking rifle on airline?

What are the rules now for taking your rifle on an airplane? I saw a show where they recommended you lock your gun case, but I thought it was illegal to lock anything so that it couldn't be inspected. Is it legal or should you put your amunition in your other checked luggage to keep them seperate from the gun? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: taking rifle on airline?

Check out this link,this will help...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1052.shtm
Old 05-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Best thing to do is to check with the Airline that you plan to fly on. Every Airline seems to have thier own special rules on things for some reason (my wife is a flight attendant for American Airlines). I know for sure that it must me in a locked case, and some airlines charge an extra fee for firearms.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Good luck with that one. My brother came home from the military for a deer hunt and when he got to camp discovered his scope was broken. He packed the gun in one of those Kevlar ridged cases and they must have put the whole case in some sort of hydraulic device and crushed it... but of course it sprang back but the scope was toast. There is no way that could have happened by accident. It was intentional
Old 05-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

Good luck with that one. My brother came home from the military for a deer hunt and when he got to camp discovered his scope was broken. He packed the gun in one of those Kevlar ridged cases and they must have put the whole case in some sort of hydraulic device and crushed it... but of course it sprang back but the scope was toast. There is no way that could have happened by accident. It was intentional

Thoroughly inspect everything when you get your luggage. The case and all contents, the airline is responsible for everything. They will also compensate your for damages. At least that my experiences with ‘em.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

Pajack-thanks for the link-that's very helpfull
Old 05-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: pahntr760

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

Thoroughly inspect everything when you get your luggage. The case and all contents, the airline is responsible for everything. They will also compensate your for damages. At least that my experiences with ‘em.
The point was that he arrived at a rural camp the night before the season and when he took the gun out of the case the eye end of the scope was bent down to the receiver. Luckily someone had a spare gun.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best thing to do is pack your rifle and send it U.P.S. or fed dex , a week before you leave and that way it will be there and if damage occurs you will have time for repairs.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:49 PM

Ok,

I've read enough bs on this one. Let me help you out with the way it really happens.

First off, do yourself a favor and go spend about $150 on a really good hard case. I'm talking the hard aluminum cases. This is to protect your weapon. This is the one I like: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?cmView=full&type=pod&id=0026824

Next when you go to the airline be sure to declare that you checking a weapon. The clerk will direct you to the proper desk. At this desk they will ask you to open your case. They will look to make sure that the weapon isn't loaded etc. You should take the bolt out of your rifle so their is no question. Do not under any circumstance pack your ammo in the same case. Now the clerk will place a card in the case showing that it has been inspected. Then they will put a sticker on the outside saying that it is a firearm and that it has been inspected. At this point you can request the clerk place your lock on the case. They will do it for you. You will not be able to handle the case from this point until you claim it at your destination.

simple as that. When you get to your destination your rifle will show up and be no worse for wear.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you suggest when there is a weight limit? I'm heading on a caribou hunt and we are limited to 60lbs. That case you show weighs 15 by its self add a scoped rifle and you have over 1/3 of the weight allowed. I've got to add in my bow and case along with other gear. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: taking rifle on airline?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.