HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM
hillbillyhunter1
Nontypical Buck

Default CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters

Greetings all.

I was wondering if anyone has anything to report from the field???

I myself got to go out Monday morning (opener). Didn't hear a peep while birds were on the roost. However, I was walking an old logging rd after sun-up calling occasionally, just trying to locate a bird. heard a lot of noise from underneath the hill and then HE bellowed. He was about 70-80 yds away. I figured I was too close and backed out about 100 yds, set up and called. I could hear lots of scratching and occasionally he'd gobble (seemingly getting slightly closer). He wasn't particularly answering me and I tried to keep my calling to a minimal--just clucking and scrastching occasionally. After about 45 minutes I saw one, hen, scratching like the devil and not paying too much attention. Then I saw him strutting around at about 80-85 yds. Then another turkey and another. Id either slightly persuaded or just got in the way of a small flock. I sat there for about half an hour while they milled around...then saw another gobbler approaching from the right (original turkeys were all moving frommy left to right). I couldn't take the adrenaline rush anymore and did something stupid. took a shoot at the second gobbler about 60 yds away[:@]. He ran and flew. the others all ran down the hill and then nothing for the rest of the morning. I know it was dumb but there were jus a few too many eyes and I couldn't hold still any longer. Going back out tomorrow and try again.

Anyone else see or do anything??