Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters >

CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters

Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters

Greetings all.

I was wondering if anyone has anything to report from the field???

I myself got to go out Monday morning (opener). Didn't hear a peep while birds were on the roost. However, I was walking an old logging rd after sun-up calling occasionally, just trying to locate a bird. heard a lot of noise from underneath the hill and then HE bellowed. He was about 70-80 yds away. I figured I was too close and backed out about 100 yds, set up and called. I could hear lots of scratching and occasionally he'd gobble (seemingly getting slightly closer). He wasn't particularly answering me and I tried to keep my calling to a minimal--just clucking and scrastching occasionally. After about 45 minutes I saw one, hen, scratching like the devil and not paying too much attention. Then I saw him strutting around at about 80-85 yds. Then another turkey and another. Id either slightly persuaded or just got in the way of a small flock. I sat there for about half an hour while they milled around...then saw another gobbler approaching from the right (original turkeys were all moving frommy left to right). I couldn't take the adrenaline rush anymore and did something stupid. took a shoot at the second gobbler about 60 yds away[:@]. He ran and flew. the others all ran down the hill and then nothing for the rest of the morning. I know it was dumb but there were jus a few too many eyes and I couldn't hold still any longer. Going back out tomorrow and try again.

Anyone else see or do anything??
Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters

also went out 1st monday...heard 1 hen, no toms... too bad too,no more vacation for turkeys this year..Sat only....THAT bites[>:]
Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Fellas I have hunted every day (except those windy days) since the VA season opened. I am hunting in WV and VA at the present and if I hear a bird it is the same bird I have heard before. I don't hear multiple birds gobbling and the ones I do hear stop gobbling as soon as they touch the ground. Yesteday I was set up good on a roosted bird and when he flew down and went into a wide creek bed (opposite of my setup), gobbled 2 times and disappeared. At 8 AM I heard him, I think, about 1/2 mile away gobble 2-3 times. I hurried off to try him and he never gobbled again.
I have hunted these things since 1975 and usually do well, to date this is my worst season ever.

Jim
Old 05-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think they are still "henned up". I hunted the last two mornings and although there was good calling on the roost and somewhat after..they quit very early and wouldn't really respond to me at all. Heard 4 different ones and they were really calling and especially answering each others gobbles. There were also some real hens that were absolutley calling their heads off and moving toward the gobblers...makes it real tough. I think its going to get better. This morning was so humid I sweated my shirt through before the sun came up
Old 05-03-2007, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

if it were easy, everyone would be doin' it....
if you know that hens are the problem, move closer to the gobbler berfore daylight/light enough to be spotted. I've had success calling toms in this situation, if I'm the closest "hen" to the tom. in fact, the lead hen will NOT like you showing off,either...just like cows..there's always a lead female,get her attention, and the gobbler is yours. if hes convinced that you're "real" enough to pee her off, then he'll come to you...but that's not set in concrete(Murphys' Law has mucho power in the field)
Old 05-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

I heard 7 gobblers on the monday, called in 4 of them and shot the first one to give me a shot, 19lbs, 10.5" beard, 1" spurs.Heard 5 beards ontuesday but no takers. Had a chance at a second bird on wednesday but for some reason I think my decoys spooked him and he lived on.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckshot

I heard 7 gobblers on the monday, called in 4 of them and shot the first one to give me a shot, 19lbs, 10.5" beard, 1" spurs.Heard 5 beards ontuesday but no takers. Had a chance at a second bird on wednesday but for some reason I think my decoys spooked him and he lived on.
congrats on teh Bird,Bro....!!
but using decoys is cheating in my book...to each their own.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

havent got out yet.

thanks to wvu engineering finals. much more exciting than turkey hunting, let me tell ya.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Went out with a buddy on his place in Hardy County on Friday last week. We heard one and tried to go after him, but got to where he was and not where he was headed. Then we heard one around 8 AM gobble about 4 times in 10 minutes, but didn't come in. Then went to my place in Grant on Saturday, and didn't hear a gobble or see much sign.

My buddy has since been at his place hunting hard all week by himself, but I got a report on Wednesday he hadn't gotten one yet. He called two in on separate mornings, but couldn't get a shot. I have yet to hear about yesterday morning or this morning.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around where are you hunting in Hardy and Grant counties Doug?? I've been all over those areas at one time or another. Good luck

Quick Reply: CALLLLLING WV turkey hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.