HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How is Wolters outdated?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Doc E
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How is Wolters outdated?

CC = Collar Conditioned (proper use of the electronic collar)
FF = Force Fetch (conditioned retrieve)
FTP = Force To Pile = an extension of FF (including Water Force etc)
I haven't looked at Gun Dog for quite a few years, so my comments were primarily based on Water Dog.

Field Trial dogs are asked to do things that the average hunter doesn't ever need, but Hunt Test dogs are required to do what any top notch Hunting Retriever does.
I have always said, "If you want a good "meat dog", go with Wolters -- If you want a really good meat dog and one that could run in the lower and mid levels of Hunt tests, go with 10 Minute Retriever -- if you want a world class meat dog and one that can perform at the higher levels of Hunt Tests, go with the SmartWork series.

There is nothing "wrong" with Wolters, but you'll end up with a much better trained and performing hunting dog if you go with more modern methods. One of the main advantages is the "sequential learning" that the modern methods employ. If you go with Wolters, I'd suggest totally ignoring his "time lines". All dogs learn at different rates. Wolters was an author, he was not a dog trainer, and neve titled a dog in his life. My greatest respect for him was the fact that he was the originator and father of all Hunt Tests that exist today.