HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why bear hunt?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Huntermann

Default RE: Why bear hunt?

I have been several times up north (where it's both legal and the only method I think they use) hunting over bear baits. I did shoot one, saw others. I lost the thrill of the hunt. A similar feeling about hunting over baited areas has lostthe appeal for me. Be it with deer, bear, whatever. Bunting... Bait hunting while legal in many states takes the hunt out of the hunter. If all you have to do is pour out a bag of corn, or whatever the treat is to bring them in, I personally find it difficult to get excited about that. Something about shooting fish in a barrel comes to mind... When I started hunting there was no bait hunting allowed. When it was opened about 20 years ago in my state I did it. I am one of the guys who either took a 4 wheeler or just plain toted in sacks and sacks of bait. This ritual would begin 4 weeks before season opener to get them primed up.

I find myself digressing. I will stop there.

Bear hunting on the other hand, where as has been mentioned here where you actually get out and look for the animal. You learn it's habits, its strengths, it's weaknesses. There is nothing more intoxicating than a good hunt. Where you put your wits against the animal, mano to animalo. As far as the meat, I liked the meat from the 260# boar I shot. I shared this with several of my buddies. Some liked it some didn't. While a red meat it should be cooked as pork (160 degrees min).

Maybe hooking up with someone who does the spot and stalk method will help change your mind.