HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dog cautions... fix or let resolve?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 10:44 AM
mustad
Typical Buck

Default Dog cautions... fix or let resolve?

I've had my year old out a few times on wild birds this spring. I've noticed a number of false points taking place. He has also pointed wild birds very well. He has not missed a bird yet. I don't think I should question the quality of his nose given his age. If he was a few years older with more experience, maybe. That said, I'm wondering if there is something I should do to try to help him determine the difference between whatever is getting him to false point and the time to put the real one on.

The thought I had was to take him out to a field where I know there are no birds. Let him work the field. When he goes on point, just nudge him along and get him going again. I think I probably helped cause this issue as everytime he would go on point, I would treat the situation like there was a bird out in front of him. Until I was sure the coast was clear; if he tried to move, I'd whoa him. If I can get him into an area where I know nothing will flush out front, I'm thinking I can help him get this stuff out of his head.

After that, I was thinking about putting him into a field with some planted birds and let him work it the same way. I'll know where the birds are, so I will know when his points are real or false. I can adjust my behavior to the situation depending on whether he's false pointing or there's a real bird there.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

M