HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What Should I get?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: What Should I get?

Where are you getting the bow from? Is it a shop that can set it up for you? I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a PSE nova with no support if you have never shot a bow before. You are going to need the bow set for your draw length, have someone show you how to draw and shoot, give you tips on proper form and then have the bow set up and tuned.

I understand that it comes as kit and might already be assembled, but it still needs to be adjusted to YOU.

I am in no way saying the Nova is crap bow or that you should shy away from archery. I LOVE archery and it is a great sport and a ton of fun once you get into it. That being said it isn't as easy as plinking with .22. I am afraid if you get a bow with no help or instruction you won't stay with it. If you get a bow that is ill fitting and you don't know what you are doing you will have trouble shooting it and not be very successful. In in most cases when this happens people don't stay with it. In that case you would have wasted 500 bucks on a hobby you will not enjoy. You will also need a target among other things.

Now if you are going to get this bow from a shop that can help you out then by all means go for it. If you are going to order it from cabela's or basspro I would personally pass unless you have a real desire to learn archery. There is an EXCELLENT archery section on this site so you could get help if you needed it. As a matter of fact the archery forums get more traffic here than the hunting forums do.

Heck if you saved up a bit more money you could probably get both. You can get a decent .22 for under a few hundred bucks (not sure about Canadian).

Paul