Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Bow
86.49%
13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

What Should I get?

Old 04-08-2007, 12:31 PM

Default RE: What Should I get?

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Where are you getting the bow from? Is it a shop that can set it up for you? I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a PSE nova with no support if you have never shot a bow before. You are going to need the bow set for your draw length, have someone show you how to draw and shoot, give you tips on proper form and then have the bow set up and tuned.

I understand that it comes as kit and might already be assembled, but it still needs to be adjusted to YOU.

I am in no way saying the Nova is crap bow or that you should shy away from archery. I LOVE archery and it is a great sport and a ton of fun once you get into it. That being said it isn't as easy as plinking with .22. I am afraid if you get a bow with no help or instruction you won't stay with it. If you get a bow that is ill fitting and you don't know what you are doing you will have trouble shooting it and not be very successful. In in most cases when this happens people don't stay with it. In that case you would have wasted 500 bucks on a hobby you will not enjoy. You will also need a target among other things.

Now if you are going to get this bow from a shop that can help you out then by all means go for it. If you are going to order it from cabela's or basspro I would personally pass unless you have a real desire to learn archery. There is an EXCELLENT archery section on this site so you could get help if you needed it. As a matter of fact the archery forums get more traffic here than the hunting forums do.

Heck if you saved up a bit more money you could probably get both. You can get a decent .22 for under a few hundred bucks (not sure about Canadian).

Paul
They will set it up for me the guy there found my length when I was there and im sure they would help me with any other things like what you said
Old 04-08-2007, 01:25 PM

Well then I say go for the bow then. I was worried you were going to get one from a mail order place or a real generic chain store that may be of little use to you as far as support and information goes.

A good shop will help you learn the basics of archery when you get a bow from them. A chain store will just sell you the equipment and then you are pretty much on your own.

Paul
Old 04-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

100% bow

though what kind of response did ya think you were gonna get in a bowhunting forum?
Old 04-08-2007, 07:57 PM

And Im pretty sure that it is theSU modelnot theOC model, because the cams on the SU look like the ones on the one that I saw on the bow (I'm pretty sure not %100)and in the picture of thestuff that comes the sight are square, and on the one in the store it was more of a circle, and it comes witha sling, also the guy there said that PSE just had it sitting in their warehouse and asked if they wanted it, so I'm guessing pse just threw some spare parts on it then shipped it off, it also comes with a release but I think that the store is throwing in.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't listen to these guys, they know nothing. Get the 22, and kill the gophers! NOT!

Get the bow. Just got my first bow in many years. I can't wait until September.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Get the bow man!! you'll have a lot more fun with it once you get good with it..but if you're going to spend that much money on a PSE, maybe you should look into getting a mathews possiblyor hoyt, they're both top of the line bows...but anyway you go, a bow will be a lot of fun!! enjoy and good luck!!