HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Approach to Bad Day....
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Proff
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best Approach to Bad Day....

Great post Steelhead. This is one of those situational posts that any of us archers understand all too well.
This reminds me of a situation a fewsummers ago. We have friends who have a set of twin boys who are also friends of my daughters ( all high school age). Any how, a few of their buddies ( actually one is my daughters boyfriend) are bowhunters and got them interested. The dad knows nothing about hunting and they wanted to get the boys bows and gear for Christmas and asked for my help. So I got the boys all set up and taught them how to shoot, set up stands etc. It was really cool watching them soak evrything up like a sponge.
Both the boys really were shooting well. Then it happened.
I was out mowing one day and one of the boys comes driving in. Right away I could tell he was upset. Well, he went on to explain that he had had one of those days that Steelhead talked about. He was shooting so bad, and the more he tried the worse it got. He thought that he had lost all his skill and would never shoot good again. I then gave him the advice that my dad, a very wise man, gave me in my younger years when I had my first bad day of shooting.
That was , as someone else here stated, that the best thing to do is just put the bow back in the case and forget it for the day. Because that is when bad habits will creep in and mess up your form. My dad put it a great way.
He said , " Son, there will be alot of days when you can just about close both eyes and shoot the balls off a fly flying 50 yards away. And those days are great! Unfortunately, there will a few days where you couldn't shoot the balls of a bull elephant standing 5 yards in front of you. Those days stink. On those days, put the bow away and find something else fun to do."
I have always passed that advice on to others whenever they have "one of those days!!"