HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - an unusual question
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 04:33 PM
AlaskaMagnum

Default RE: an unusual question

I think that this may be true for kennel dogs, but maybe not so for house dogs. My protocol is that for the first four months, the puppy sleeps in my bed with me. This takes an understanding wife and the ability to sleep with small animals scratching, adjusting, etc. Hold the puppy on your lap, feed him treats, bond, bond, and bond some more.

All of my dogs are very attatched to me, and none of them were "limited" with their interactions with other dogs. I generally don't believe that dogs truly "see" humans as their pack member. I don't look like a dog, I don't smell like a dog (well at least I do not think so), I don't sound or act like a dog. I believe dogs are smart enough to understand that I am NOT a dog.

However, I think dogs interact with us the only way they are wired to interact with us, thus giving us the appearance of seeing us as the pack leader. They understand authority and will respond to it appropriately. The dogs get things from me that they cannot get from another dog, and they come to crave my approval and affection.

I believe that is the key. I am better than a dog pack leader. I am benevolent, kind, and share my food. I also pet, scratch, sweet talk, etc.