HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Point Rule
Thread: Buck Point Rule
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2003, 07:41 PM
ksmonster

Default RE: Buck Point Rule

I believe that point restrictions would benefit the deer population. I know too many people around central Kansas that try to shoot big deer, but when the end of the season comes around most of them end up shooting fork horns. I would just as soon use that tag in the January season and shoot a doe rather than a small young buck. I think the buck to doe ratio is out of hand. We need more bigger bucks and less does. I think KDWP selling the $10 doe tags will help eliminate some of the does. Know we just have to work on bigger and better BUCKS. I did not shoot a buck this year. Had many opportunities to shoot 8 points and smaller, but I let them go. I try to do some micro-management, but the deer can always wonder next door and boom. I have read some very impressive articles from other areas which have implemented the point restrictions, and they are impressive. I believe it will just take some time, if they apply a point restriction, and hunters will see a dramatic improvement. But, most of the people I know just have to shoot a buck, not caring about the size. They will hate it.